Monday, September 14, 2026

Blog Post #5: Privacy

Privacy is something I never really think about until I realize how much information is actually being collected about us every day. One of the things that stood out to me most from Catherine Crump’s TED Talk was automatic license plate readers. I had no idea that police could collect information about where someone was, when they were there, and even sometimes who they were with. The example of Mike and his daughters was especially weird to me because he had done nothing wrong, but the government still had hundreds of photos showing parts of his everyday life. 

Catherine Crump
The second video also made me think a lot about the idea of an “electronic tattoo.” Things like Facebook, Twitter, cell phones, and GPS can reveal so much about who we are. Once something is online, it can be really hard to take back or hide. I think this affects me, my friends, and my family because we all use technology constantly and probably do not always think about how much information we are giving away.

I think the government should have more limits on how long information about innocent people can be stored. Catherine Crump talked about requiring police departments to get rid of data about people who have done nothing wrong, and I think that makes sense. Technology can still be used when necessary without constantly tracking everyone.

The biggest thing we can do ourselves is be more careful about what we post and what information we give apps and companies. These videos made me realize that privacy is not just about hiding personal information. It is also about knowing who has information about you and what they are doing with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #6: Antiwar & The American Conservative

Before this assignment, I had honestly never heard of Antiwar.com or The American Conservative, which I think says a lot by on its own. Most...