When I looked through the Eight Values of Free Expression, the two that stuck out to me the most were Marketplace of Ideas and Individual Self-Fulfillment. I think that both of these theories are relevant today especially because of how much social media has changed the way we communicate. Platforms like Instagram and TikTok are not just for posting pictures anymore. They are places where people discover information, share opinions, express themselves and connect with people from across the world.
![]() |
| John Milton |
Most of the time, I hear about major news or controversial topics from TikTok or Instagram first rather than a traditional news source. I might be scrolling and suddenly see something explaining a political issue or a major event. Then I will see another video that completely disagrees with the first video. The comments also become a huge part because people add information, post their own opinions and argue with each other.
At the same time, I don't think that the Marketplace of Ideas works perfectly online. John Milton's theory assumes that the truth will eventually win when ideas are not allowed to compete. However, on social media, the truthful post is not always the one that gets the most attention. Sometimes, the most controversial opinion, dramatic video or catchy headline gets the millions of views while an accurate and truthful explanation gets ignored.
Something that makes this even more complicated is the algorithms. Two people could open TikTok at the same time and see completely different versions of the same story. Because of that, I think that the responsibility falls on us to question what we are seeing instead of believing the first post we come across.
The other theory that feels personal to me is Individual Self-Fulfillment. This theory argues that free expression gives people the ability to express themselves, find other people who share the same interests, and develop their own identities. Social media shows this constantly. What you post, repost, like and comment on on something communicates something about you as a person. I have also noticed how social media allows people to figure out what they actually like.
On social media, we are exposed to lifestyles, hobbies, careers and opinions that we might have never seen otherwise. For me personally, I have found many new ideas about fashion, marketing and careers through social media that I would never have discovered on my own. Expression is not only about speaking. It's about discovering parts of your own identity through what other people share.
However, sometimes social media can pressure people to create an identity based on what will get the most likes and views instead of being themselves. This makes Individual Self-Fulfillment more complicated because freedom to express yourself doesn't mean that every form of expression is true and authentic.
I think that both of these theories explain why freedom of expression feels so important today. The Marketplace of Ideas gives us the chance to hear competing opinions and decide what we believe, while Self-Fulfillment gives us the ability to express who we are while connecting with other people. Social media has its problems, but it is also an amazing space where people participate in these values every single day.

No comments:
Post a Comment